The Maintenance Engineer is responsible to perform the daily repair and maintenance work at the Home Office and other properties assigned and to ensure timely and accurate completion of Preventive Maintenance schedules. The Maintenance Engineer utilizes advanced skills to perform maintenance and repair of buildings, vehicles, equipment and grounds. Working under limited supervision, monitors building system operations and performance. Utilizes several skills such as carpentry, plumbing, electrical, painting, roofing, heating and cooling.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required for the position.
- Complies with all applicable codes, regulations, governmental agency and Company directives related to building operations and work safety.
- Inspects building systems including fire alarms, HVAC, Electrical and plumbing to ensure operation of equipment is within design capabilities and achieves environmental conditions.
- Oversees and inspects the work performed by outside contractors. Contracted work may include landscaping, snow removal, HVAC, plumbers, and cleaning.
- Performs assigned repairs, emergency and preventive maintenance. Completes maintenance and repair records as required.
- Reviews assigned work orders. Estimates time and materials needed to complete repair. Orders necessary materials and supplies to complete all tasks.
- Maintains an energy management program to ensure measures are taken to operate all systems in the most efficient manner to keep operating costs at a minimum.
- Maintains the building lighting system, including element and ballast repairs or replacements.
- Performs welding, carpentry, furniture assembly and locksmith tasks as needed.
- Responds quickly to emergency situations, summoning additional assistance as needed.
- Complies with all safety procedures, maintaining good housekeeping and safety of work areas.
- Occasionally works irregular hours due to business needs (ie. Early and/or Saturday morning snow removal).
- Performs other duties as assigned.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and a minimum of eight years of related experience and/or trade school training. Or equivalent combination of education and experience.
BAS and Universal CFC certification preferred. Additional certification in one or more of the following preferred: electrical, mechanical, HVAC and refrigeration systems, process controls, mechanical power transmissions, painting, plumbing, carpentry or engine repair. Valid driver license is required.
Ability to comprehend and interpret instructions, short correspondence, and memos and ask clarifying questions to ensure understanding. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from clients, co-workers, and/or supervisor. Ability to effectively present information to an internal department and/or large groups of employees.
Requires basic knowledge of financial terms and principles. Ability to calculate simple figures such as percentages.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situation where only limited standardization exists. Requires intermediate analytical skills.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to operate various tools; and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to climb stairs or ladders, balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
Uses personal computer and / or PDA for work order system, email, ESS and training. Basic skills with Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel.